Bored of Idlis and Vadas. Try out these Appes (stuffed Idlis), a dish from Kerala. I am posting this recipe on the behalf of my friend who is an expert in making these Appe. During the picnics and get together, these have been the favorites of her guests and I am posting this here on popular demand.
Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups suji or semolina
- 11/2 cups curd with 1/2 cup of of water
- Salt per taste
- Red Chili powder as per taste
- 1 Green chili
- 1 Tablespoon of Eno or baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- Curry leaves
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
Ingredients for Stuffing:
- 3 medium sized boiled potatoes
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 green chili
- any other vegetable like carrot or paneer (optional)
- 1/4 cup of peas
- 1 teaspoon of chat masala1/4 teaspoon of cumin powder
- salt to taste
- Appe Stand or Pud stand that goes over the gas flame.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix suji with curd and water. Stir slowly while adding curd and then blend well to make smooth batter. Ensure that no lumps form.
- Add salt and red chili to taste. Leave the batter for half an hour.
- Meanwhile prepare stuffing for appe. Mash boiled potatoes and add finely chopped onions, green chili and peas to it.
- Then mix in the salt and dry spices, chat masala and cumin powder.
- After half an hour take the batter , add Eno powder or baking soda. Then pour lemon juice till it dissolves. Thoroughly mix the batter. Now it is ready.
- Heat the appe stand and then put little oil in each mould . Add few mustard seeds and curry leaves. Let the mustard seeds pop up.
- Then put 1/2 tablespoon of batter in each mould, immediately add 1 teaspoon of stuffing to each of the moulds
- Again add 1/2 tablespoon of batter in to each mould. Pour 1 drop of oil on the top. Now as soon as it get cook from one side just turn with help of appe stick or a spoon. Let it cook from both sides on medium flame. Remove when they are slightly brown in color.
- Serve them hot with green chutney and ketchup.